Camp Amicus Nurse
Foothills Academy Society invites you to be an integral part of this unique summer camp program for children and youth with learning disabilities and/or ADHD. Our goal is to create a rewarding and successful summer for each camper, with an emphasis on enhancing self-esteem and social skills in a fun environment.
Under the guidance of the Program Coordinator & Camp Coordinator, the Camp Health Care Provider is responsible for overseeing the health & safety aspects of the overnight summer camp program. As a senior staff member of Camp Amicus, this position requires a high level of responsibility, maturity & accountability when dealing with co-workers, campers & parents.
Position Dates: June 9/10, and June 18 - August 25 (10 weeks)
- June 18 through to June 22 – Foothills Academy in Calgary
- June 25 to June 29 – staff training at Camp Goldeye in Nordegg, Alberta
- July 1 – July 27 - overnight camp at Goldeye Centre in Nordegg, Alberta - four 6-day overnight camps (Sunday to Friday)
- July 30 – August 24 - POLARIS program (Monday to Friday) in Calgary
Salary: $700 per week (includes room & board while on site at the Goldeye camp).
**Please note that you are responsible for your own accommodations in Calgary
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure the proper storage & dispensing of all prescription & non-prescription medications
- Treat all injuries and illnesses on or off-site that require greater care than staff with first-aid training can give
- Act as a resource for staff with respect to first-aid & medical issues
- Assemble & control of all First-Aid Kits at the camp
- Ensure all first-aid equipment is kept in good supply
- Compile an end of season inventory & shopping list
- Keep records of all medication and first-aid administered
- Provide support to Camp Counsellors, as time permits
- Perform other duties as requested by the Camp Coordinator
- Candidate must be able to lift and transport 20 – 40 pounds regularly.
- Candidate must be able to see and respond to situations
- Candidate must be able to work in a consistently mobile fashion – walking up to 6 hours for day long field trips, and consistently interact with campers and staff at both day and overnight camp.
- Candidate must be able to sustain attention to the program participants without significant impairment
- Registered Nurse or nursing student who has completed the Administration of Medication course
- Class 5 licence or provincial equivalent
- Knowledgeable of drug side effects, incompatibilities, & adverse reactions
- Understanding of learning disabilities, ADHD and co-occurring conditions & their respective medical treatments (eg. Ritalin) is preferred
- High level of accuracy & efficiency in record keeping
- Ability to work independently & problem solve effectively
- Ability to work cooperatively and productively with others
- Ability to use judgment to act quickly when necessary
- Ability to adapt to new situations and be flexible with change
- Excellent communication skills
- Current First Aid & CPR
- Previous camp experience (an asset)
The successful candidate must submit a Police Record Check before commencement of work at Camp Amicus.
Job Application Process: Send resume and cover letter to Kathleen Gurski. We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact Person: Kathleen Gurski, Manager, Camp Amicus and Recreation Programs
745 37 Street NW, Calgary, AB T2N 4T1